Wednesday 20 March 2013

Breaking Bad

I've started watching Breaking Bad on NetFlix. I'm impressed.

Cherie doesn't like it because it seems to glorify drug use; or at least make it seem acceptable. I agree and understand her point of view. It's definitely not a pleasant show.

But the characters are very three dimensional and well acted. I can't help thinking what I would do if I was in the same position as the lead character. I would struggle but I wouldn't choose the same route as he has. But I can understand his motives.

When I was in the school debating team, we had to discuss the issue of morality on television. I had to answer the point that illustrations of wrongdoing encouraged people to behave in the same way. My response was that as long as the effect of the action was shown then it was fair to air the show. An example I gave was the children's program Grange Hill (well, I was 13). An episode may show one of the kids doing something really naughty. The story would then unfold and then the unfortunate boy or girl would have to deal with the repercussions.

Karma.

That's one of the things I like in Breaking Bad. The actions of the protagonist aren't free of karmic retribution. There's physical consequences such as getting beaten up or losing money and emotional ones such as guilt and anger.

It feels like a picture is being painted which is as clear as crystal (meth). It is completely fair and unbiased.

Do this shit and expect shit back.

That, and Mr White is a secret bad ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment